Friday, March 19, 2010

What's Coming Up?

I have a few orders coming up! I have Texas Longhorns cake to make next week. It will be shaped like the UT Longhorn emblem and covered with orange butter cream. This one will be pretty easy, I hope!

I also have a birthday cake for a fan of True Blood to make. I could get really creative here. I don't want to do a gory vampire cake though. I've never watched True Blood. I can't find any fan cakes on the web. (Google fail!) Even though I've never read or seen any of the Twilight series I like how there is easy imagery to adapt into a cake. I've been trying to figure out some imagery for a True Blood cake. I may have to try to watch it so I can be truly inspired.

I do have an idea to do something with a Southern Gothic theme. I've been researching that genre tonight and still don't have any good ideas. When I think Southern Gothic I think of mossy trees and foggy bogs, not anything that I can translate into a pretty cake.

It will be fun to try something creative here.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen True Blood either but we sell the books like crazy. There's a lot of Louisiana bayou theme related things in it and psychics and some pretty vampires lol. That's really great news that you're getting more cake orders. I can't wait to see the updated pictures and hopefully you'll get even more orders :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A red velvet cake seems appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about red velvet and cherries and lo and behold there are recipes out there for that combo.

    I must say that after my research last night I do want to see this show. Vampires are obvious stand-ins for other minority groups and it seems to have a bit of a Southern Gothic-meets-rockabilly sensibility to it. What better setting than LA., the most backward state in America? I really love the "church sign" in the intro which reads "God Hates Fangs". That is just too clever.

    ReplyDelete

Followers