Saturday, March 6, 2010

X-Box Controller Cake



I really didn't think the frosting on this cake looked so rough! I think that maybe my eye was tired or something. I also think that the flash made the shadows deeper thereby highlighting all the mistakes. Oh, well...I was actually pretty proud of this cake despite the problems. In fact, I had a lot of successes here. The fondant controls were made out of white Wilton fondant that I dyed with Wilton gel colors. I'm at least happy with the way the colors turned out!

I'm actually thinking this cake should be covered with fondant. To fondant or not to fondant...that is the question. Most people tell me they do not like the taste of fondant and just want butter cream frosting on their cake. Butter cream is sooooo decadant! Of course, you can have butter cream covered with fondant and just peel off the fondant. But then you are paying a lot extra for something that is just for looks and that most people won't eat. Soon, like this week, I'm going to make a marshmallow fondant, known in baking circles as MMF and see if it really makes a difference. Everyone says it does, that it tastes better than the Wilton stuff. We'll see!

Anyway, this is my first carved cake and I think it is pretty cute although I see many ways for it to be better!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried fondant. I like buttercream though. And I really like how this cake came out :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ana! Fondant doesn't taste good at all. I do like the way it looks, though. I'm about to make a fondant covered, two-tiered cake but I will put a layer of buttercream on before the fondant.

    ReplyDelete

Followers